The Communication Arts Department at VCUarts is seeking an experienced Concept Designer for a Faculty Assistant Professor eligible for a nine-month term. Our next member will be part of a tight-knit community of inspiring educators and help teach a range of courses related to concept design in the communication arts.
Department of Communication Arts:
Founded on a solid foundation of drawing, Communication Arts is the most popular of the visual arts departments at VCU’s highly regarded School of the Arts. With a rich history in illustration, Communication Arts now includes a minor in VFX and various courses in comics and game development.
Skills and Requirements
- MFA/MA and/or higher education and industry experience equivalent to a graduate degree. Those with a BFA/BA and a strong record of professional practice and industry experience are encouraged to apply.
- Strong drawing ability, including imagination, observation and the use of perspective.
- Impeccable understanding of the design and form of characters, creatures, props, vehicles and environments.
- Ability to adapt to a wide range of visual styles and projects.
- Strong compositional and color skills.
- Able to be both a reliable team player and an independent operator.
- Demonstrated experience working and promoting a diverse environment of faculty, staff, and students, or commitment to do so as a VCU faculty member.
- Experience in art direction on entertainment projects.
- Experience with 3D software such as Zbrush, Maya, Houdini, Unreal or similar.
- Ability to maintain and develop current links with the fashion industry and its professionals, and to use these links to create opportunities for students and raise the profile of the department.
To apply, please submit the application materials through the VCU Jobs website. Only electronic applications will be accepted.
The following documents must be submitted:
- A letter of interest.
- Current resume/curriculum vitae.
- A list of five current references, including names, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses (references will not be contacted until candidate approval).
- Portfolio of Work – a link to appropriate selections of documentation of the candidate’s experience in their area of expertise. This could include traditional and/or non-traditional examples of his work from a wide range and/or combination of experiences in a variety of roles within academia and/or professional settings.
- Declaration of contributions to diversity, equity and inclusion.
About the Company
Ranked by US News & World Report as one of the top five schools for arts and design, VCUarts (arts.vcu.edu) enrolls more than 3,000 undergraduate and graduate students with programs recognized at the nationwide in design, visual and performing arts, and has an annual budget of $38 million and an endowment of over $13.5 million. Students are taught by over 175 full-time teaching and research faculty members and the school is supported by over 60 staff members who assist in day-to-day processes. The school comprises two campuses; one in Richmond and one in Doha, Qatar. The Richmond campus is located on the university’s 75-acre Monroe Park campus, located in the city’s historic fan district. Ultimately, the work of the School of Arts extends globally with partnerships across the globe and in fields as diverse as the humanities, health, and business.
How to Apply
Click on the link below to apply:
All applications must include a Portfolio, CV/Resume, and any relevant documentation