We are working on a remake of Splinter Cell, bringing together a passionate, dynamic and respectful team of trifocal glasses. This is an opportunity to be part of a treasured franchise, rebuilt on Ubisoft’s Snowdrop engine to deliver next-gen visuals and modernized stealth gameplay, while preserving what’s at the heart of the Splinter Cell experience. . .
As Character Technical Director at Ubisoft Toronto, You will optimize team productivity through the technical process (pipeline) to maximize player experience. This is achieved by identifying project needs, implementing effective tools and working methods to maximize data integration into the engine, and providing technical support to the team.
Skills and Responsibilities
Determine the technical needs of your team to realize the visions of the technical base of the characters and support the artistic direction of the characters, while challenging their interpretation to assess their technical feasibility;
Assist in project engine selection to ensure your business needs are taken into account by evaluating existing engines, contributing to the design of a new engine (if applicable) and testing the final engine choice ;
- Acquire the best tools in collaboration with the programming team and the other Technical Directors (TD) of the project to enrich and facilitate the work of your trade by prototyping technological elements, by requesting adjustments to existing tools, by requesting new tools and by validating their effectiveness before their deployment on the project;
- Establish the best working methods and data structures (data and assets) to standardize working methods and ensure data validity and integrity by writing technical documents, establishing a naming method, training, coaching and supervising users of the process;
- Find improvements and solve problems to provide technical support to your craft by working closely with programmers and training team members to become specialists solving specific tasks and problems;
- Stay informed of technical and technological innovations in order to apply them to your project when relevant and share the evolutions of your project with your peers Help plan the work by collaborating with the planning manager on the scope of each task and the impact on your team in order to find the right compromise between the desired quality and the delivery constraints
- Follow up on the tasks of DT assistants to assess the progress of deliverables;
- Perform other related tasks.
- 5+ years of experience in character modeling or programming and 3+ years of leadership experience
- Degree in 3D animation, computer engineering (related knowledge)
- Skills of modeling, texturing, anatomy, shaders, and other character-related development
- Innovative, collaborative, caring and solution-oriented mindset
- Critical thinking, curiosity, ingenuity and great flexibility
- Familiarity with bug tracking software (eg Jira) and version control systems (eg Perforce)
- A passion for sharing knowledge: you are inclined to help others learn and grow
- We know that skills and competencies come in different forms and can be based on different experiences, so we strongly encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet all of the requirements listed above.
The 21,000 members of the Ubisoft team, working in more than 30 countries around the world, are bound by a common mission: to enrich the lives of players with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their commitment and talent have brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six and many more to come. Ubisoft is an equal opportunity employer that believes that diversity of backgrounds and perspectives is essential to creating worlds where players and teams can thrive and express themselves. If you’re excited about solving game-changing challenges, using cutting-edge technology, and pushing the boundaries of entertainment, we invite you to join our journey and help us create the unknown.
How to Apply
Click on the link below to apply:
All applications must include a Portfolio, CV/Resume, and any relevant documentation