As a UI designer, you’ll help shape the way players interact with each other and a world of sci-fi gameplay. You will design diegetic user interfaces that provide an excellent gaming experience, from the immediate user interface, such as holographic vehicle HUDs and interactive maps, to world screens for systems such as missions, mining and the trade.
You’ll work closely with game designers and artists to come up with inspiring UI designs and concepts, then work with our industry-leading UI tools to implement and test your work in the gaming world .
What does a UI designer do at CIG?
- Be the go-to person for designing user interfaces that can represent complex systems in a user-friendly, low-friction way.
- Be a pioneer within the department for clean content implementation with our UI and game implementation tools.
- Develop prototypes that clearly articulate the vision of the features you are responsible for.
- Research and implement new cutting-edge UI technologies and tools.
- Help mentor junior UI designers and other team members and support them in their professional development.
Skills and Requirements
- Experience developing front-end user interfaces for games, mobile and/or web applications.
- Good understanding of UI and UX best practices.
- Understanding of agile software development and version control systems.
- A proactive and hands-on approach, with a desire to integrate the UI into the game and work well for the player.
- Ability to work well in a cooperative and cross-functional team environment.
About the company
Cloud Imperium Games is a new kind of independent studio dedicated to providing AAA experiences outside of the established publishing system. Founded by Chris Roberts, creator of the hit Wing Commander and Freelancer series, Cloud Imperium is currently developing Star Citizen, a record crowd. funded title that combines classic space simulation gameplay with Hollywood-caliber visuals
Cloud Imperium aims to blaze new trails in game development by sharing the process with gamers. Where game development was once hidden, Cloud Imperium has chosen to share the process with those who support Star Citizen. Fans get to know the team and follow them through every step of the game’s creation. The community is closely engaged and their feedback is considered in all aspects of the game’s development, eschewing standard advertising to put the epic vision of Roberts directly into the hands of the players.