For many years, people perceived the world in a linear fashion. They wondered what was beyond the horizon and followed their desires to conquer lands until they ran into the idea of someone else doing the same. As the boundaries fluctuated, some areas seemed more desirable than others, and the architecture needed to progress to pile increasing masses. And as our imaginations began to soar skyward, we sometimes felt like we had lost ourselves, creating confined, crowded spaces that looked more like coffins than areas where we would like to live.
Fortunately, there’s a better solution on the horizon (how ironic!) as deft, innovative and smart designs are navigating towards sustainable urban spaces that combine the best of compact and practical planning with agro-tecture.
This architectural competition is exclusively for architecture students and young architects and aims to design a self-sufficient and pioneering residential skyscraper that uses the idea of vertical farming and responds to the challenges that Hong Kong faces from our days. The designed building must offer a unique and avant-garde living experience to its residents, meeting all the needs of modern societies and including innovative solutions to the challenges of urban agriculture and sustainable living. It should be a visually striking and memorable building, with a strong connection to the surrounding city and a sense of place.
We would like to encourage all participants to look for universal ideas that could also be implemented in other cities. Research concepts that can be beneficial in many different places and rethink how contemporary high-rise buildings look, function and influence modern cities and their inhabitants.
Schedule and Fees
- Early bird registration from March 15 to April 16 | $99, students $79
- Regular registration from April 17 to June 4 | $129, students $99
- Late registration from June 5 to June 25 | $139, students $119
- Submission deadline | June 25 Shortlist Announcement (20) | Announcement of July 15 finalists | Announcement of July 30 results | 20 August
- Ryohei Koike – BIG
- Cosimo Scotucci – MVRDV
- Marc Juarez – Association for Vertical Farming,
- Vice President Norman Ung – DEFT
- 1st Prize – $3,000 winning certificate, social media post, interviews and articles on the sandbox.archi website, a copy of the 2022 architectural competition directory
- 2nd Prize – $2,000 2nd place certificate, social media post, interviews and articles on the sandbox.archi website, a copy of the 2022 architectural competition directory
- 3rd Prize – $1,000 3rd place certificate, social media post, interviews and articles on the sandbox.archi website, a copy of the 2022 Architectural Competition Yearbook
- Most Resilient Design – $200 per certificate, a copy of the 2022 Architectural Competition Directory. For those who showcase the best ways to design resilient structures.
- Best Urban Design – $200 a certificate, a copy of the 2022 Architectural Competition Directory. For those whose design will best fit into the urban fabric.
- 7 Honorable mentions Honorable mention certificates, publication.
- 10 finalists Certificates of finalists, publication.
Cash prize: $6,000.00