About the Role
We needed a highly motivated Art Director to guide and mentor our art team and provide direction and vision for an upcoming title. The title has a semi-realistic art style exploring dark and surreal themes. A personal attraction to these themes is not necessary, but being able to drive, produce and own these themes in the game direction vision is. As Art Director, you will work closely with the Game Director to define and communicate the artistic vision for the game and ensure it is consistent with the narrative and gameplay goals.
You’ll guide and coach the art team to achieve excellence in visual storytelling, character design, environment creation, and more, through actionable and actionable feedback and direction.
- Provide clear and constructive feedback on concepts and in-engine art, including characters, environment, visual effects, and UI, to ensure the art team achieves the highest level of quality
- Keep abreast of the latest gaming industry trends and techniques and implement new approaches as appropriate
- Manage and prioritize the art team’s workload to ensure they meet project deadlines and budget constraints
- Own the art style and work with the team to develop and implement the visual style in-game
- Participation in the production of concept art
The ideal candidate for this role should understand the relationship between art and games and how it can enhance the gaming experience. They should also be able to adapt to the mood and tone of the game while possessing the art style and working collaboratively with the team to develop and implement the visual style into the game.
Essential that you have the following:
- Have delivered at least 1 degree in an art management role, preferably as an art director
- Excellent management and communication skills, with the ability to guide and develop a team of artists.
- Strong fundamental artistic skills, including an excellent understanding of shape, form, composition, and color theory.
- Ability to work well under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Experience working in Unreal Engine is a plus but not required
- Collective agreement – Tekniktjänsteavtalet (+ union club)
- Pension scheme (tjänstepension)
- Overtime paid
- Flexible working hours
- Annual social allowance
- Health at work
- Weekly Wellness Activity Hours – Two hours per week!
Our majestic Thunderful Games headquarters in Gothenburg rises above all the surrounding buildings, except for its slightly taller neighbors. Don’t confuse it with a typical desktop computer! Inside, you’ll find a bespoke game development powerhouse with some of the best in the business. The Gothenburg teams have been at it for over two decades and have worked their way to the top with SteamWorld and EA Originals series like Fe and Lost in Random.