Maliyo Games is looking for a talented and passionate Art Director who can lead a team of video game artists and technical experts and coordinate resources to develop unique, creative and engaging games for mobile devices.
The art director is responsible for managing the visual design of a game. This includes overseeing the design and creating concept art, character designs, and other visual elements. The Art Director will establish and maintain the concept art and design of the game. Their role is to ensure that the rest of the art team is working towards the same goal. The ideal candidate will keep game artists on track by empowering and guiding them.
The Art Director must be able to conceptualize game designs and then translate those designs into 3D models and 2D images that can be used in game development. The Art Director must be creative when tackling new projects to ensure they are unique and interesting. They will also collaborate with programmers and other designers to ensure that all game elements are designed with their goals in mind.
Skills and Requirements
- Define the look of the project, its distinct art style, and critical visual differentiation.
- Work with the team to define and execute the art direction for all game content, including character design and world building.
- Collaborate with product, design, and engineering teams to create and implement art assets into the game experience.
- Oversee the design and layout of the game’s user interface and graphics, as well as the creation of concept art, character designs, and other visual assets.
- Iterate over the full project plan, informing timelines and deliverables through key artistic milestones.
- Work closely with all internal and external stakeholders to understand and meet gameplay needs.
- Work hand-in-hand with a team of level designers, artists, and builders to develop levels from prototype to completion.
- Develop milestones for the artistic team through clear direction and sustainable reach.
- Make sure all elements are consistent with the art style of the game.
- Conceptualize game designs, then translate those designs into 3D models and 2D images that can be used in game development.
- Define the structure of the art team, identifying the roles and responsibilities of sub-disciplines, including animation, concept art, character, environment, and technical art.
- Responsible for ensuring that the artistic assets of our games are consistent, polished and of high quality.
- Collaborate with programmers and other designers to ensure that all game elements are designed in accordance with their objectives.
- Communicate and collaborate effectively with team members, production and management to ensure project goals are set and met on time.
- Build and maintain a team of world-class performers, guiding them to incredible performance and targeted growth.
- Bachelor’s degree in fine arts or graphic design.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in a high level position as an artistic director.
- You don’t need to have gaming experience, but animation or film experience is a plus.
- Must have team management and production experience.
- Solid knowledge of the gaming industry.
- Must be creative when approaching new projects to ensure they are unique and interesting.
- Must have great artistic skills, attention to detail and a solid understanding of 3D modeling software such as Maya or ZBrush.
- Must also have teamwork experience and be able to communicate effectively with the rest of the development team.
- Able to work independently and collaborate with other team members.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- Demonstrated flexibility and ability to work with cross-functional teams, both in-person and remotely.
- When applying, you must share your portfolio.
About the Company
Maliyo Games is an Africa-focused game development studio that creates fun casual games for growing African mobile consumers. We infuse African-inspired themes into our games by integrating the continent’s vibrant culture through immersive storytelling, character development, environment design, captivating sounds and visuals.
How to Apply
Click on the link below to apply:
All applications must include a Portfolio, CV/Resume, and any relevant documentation